Archbishop William BarryPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A stained glass window commemorates Archbishop William Barry.

William Barry was born in 1872, at Middleton, County Cork, Ireland. He was educated at a local Christian Brothers School and then attended St. Colman's Seminary at Fermoy, and was ordained priest on 24th June, 1898, and arrived in New South Wales in October the same year.

In Sydney he was appointed chaplain at Darlinghurst Gaol and at the Naval and Seamen's Mission. He was also the first pastor of Chatswood, opened in 1910, built the church at St. Leonards, New South Wales, and was sent on a special mission to Norfolk Island.

William Barry was consecrated archbishop in August 1919 and appointed as co-adjutor to Archbishop Delany in Hobart. On the latter's death he became Archbishop of Hobart on 7th May 1926. He was very interested in education and during the nine years of his appointment several convent schools were opened in Tasmania, at Gormanston, Wynyard, Deloraine and Invermay, to name a few. Approximately nine churches were also built.

Archbishop Barry died in Hobart on 13th June 1929 and in his memory a stained-glass window was erected in St. Joseph's Orphanage, Hobart. The window features 'St. Joseph' and in later years was removed and placed in the chapel at St.Vincent's Hospital, Launceston.




Address:5 Frederick Street, Calvary Health Care Tasmania St Vincent's Campus, Launceston, 7250
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.440523
Long: 147.142178
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

Pray for Archbishop Barry


Source: MA,JG
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design