Reverend Max HughesPrint Page
An edition of the "Book of Common Prayer" was given to the church by the Launceston Church Grammar School to commemorate the services given to the school by Reverend Max Hughes.
Max Hughes was born on 8th December 1907, son of Lindsay R. Hughes and Isabella, formerly Affleck, and grew up on the property 'Jessiefield' at Longford. This was a very old property having been granted to John Cox in 1813.
He went to Christ College in Hobart to study for Holy Orders. In 1948 Max graduated and was accepted for the ministry in the Anglican Church. He was made deacon and then priest in the following year and was appointed assistant curate at St. John's Church, Devonport, for two years. He spent eight months studying in England and was then appointed assistant at St. Paul's Church, Launceston. Subsequent appointments were St. Oswald's, St. Andrew's Westbury, Longford and Perth. He spent another period of leave in England in the early 1960s. He returned in 1969 to live at Longford. He died on 19th August 1975.
In 1955 an edition of the Book of Common Prayer was given to St. Oswald's Church in appreciation of the assistance given by the Reverend Max Hughes to the Launceston Church Grammar School. The book is still in use and has, since 1975, become a memorial.
|Address:||34 Bain Terrace, St Oswalds Church, Trevallyn, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.436896|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1955|
Presented by the Launceston Church Grammar School as a token of appreciation of the assistance to the school by the Vicar Rev. Max Hughs
(The feast of St. Phillip and St. James 1955)
M.B.H. Travers - Headmaster
E.C. Rowland - Chaplain
P.A.V. Roff - Sacristan