Reverend Edmund McGrathPrint Page
The tower of the church was erected in memory of the Reverend Edmund McGrath who was the Pastor of Scone from 1883 to 1919.
The opening of the new Catholic Church of St. Mary, Queen of Peace, in Scone on Sunday last attracted a very large congregation, which included visitors to the number of some hundreds brought by special trains from Muswellbrook, Aberdeen, and Murrurundi, and so numerous was the gathering that all who attended were unable to obtain seating accommodation. The ceremonies were begun at 10.30 a.m. with the blessing of the church, by his Lordship the Right. Rev. Dr. O'Connor, Bishop of Armidale. In the afternoon the Father McGrath Memorial Tower Tablet was unveiled by Bishop O'Connor, and the occasional sermon preached by the Rev. J. C. Coady, Adm., Maitland, who is a native of Scone. Father Coady reviewed the life of the late Father McGrath, who had ministered in Scone for thirty-six years and spoke feelingly of the zealous work of the good priest during his long and faithful pastorate. The ceremonies were concluded with solemn benediction. The new church is a very fine building of elegant design, the work of Mr. Gannon, architect, of Newcastle. Its erection cost £11,000 towards which the sum of £7,000 was in hand prior to the opening, and which amount was substantially increased by Sunday's collection.
Maitland Weekly Mercury (NSW), 24 October 1925.
|Address:||Short & Park Streets, Blessed Virgin Mary Queen of Peace Catholic Church , Scone, 2377|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.053347|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1883|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th October, 1925|
To The Honour And Glory Of God
In Loving Memory
Revd EDMUND McGRATH
Pastor of Scone
1883 - 1919
This Tower Is Erected
Oct. 18 1925.