Reverend J. W. A. WatkinsonPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the Reverend J. W. A. Watkinson who was Rector of the parish from 1926 to 1939. The plaque is part of the wall which was dedicated with the memorial gates in 1949.
There was a large gathering at Christ Church, Kiama on Saturday last to witness the dedication of the new wall and Memorial Gates by the Archbishop of Sydney, the Most Rev. H. W. K. Mowll, D.D. The Dedication took the form of a service in the Church after which His Grace and the congregation moved to the grounds for the actual dedication. The address was given by Rev. H. W. K. Mowll who took as his text the 21st.chapter of Revelations. He said they had gatheredd for the dedication of the wall and gates which had been erected in memory of those who had laid down their lives, for their country. The panels were in memory of the citizens who had set a grand example in the past. At the conclusion of the service in the Church, the Archbishop proceeded to the wall and dedicated each panel to the Glory of God and in memory of the following:--Susan Grey; Robert Harry Stevenson; Herbert Harry Hart, Louie Isabella Hart and Violet Frances Love; Henry Charles Lyons; Arthur W. and Rachel L. Grey; P. C. Hughes; David E. and Isabella Weir; and J, W. A. Watkinson.
Kiama Independent (NSW), 26 March 1949.
|Address:||Terralong Street, Christ Church Anglican , Kiama, 2533|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.672994|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1926|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1939|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th March, 1949|
This Panel Is Dedicated
To The Memory Of
REV J. W. A. WATKINSON
Rector Of The Parish From 1926 - 39
Died 16th May 1943
Donated By The Parishioners