Reverend Alexander BellewesPrint Page
A sculpture commemorates the Reverend Alexander Bellewes who ministered to the people of the district from 1944 to 1946.
|Address:||6 Naughton Street, Hyden Uniting Church, Hyden, 6359|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.447191|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Gordon Bristow-Baohm|
Reverend Bellewes and his BSA
In the years between 1944 and 1946 the Reverend Alexander Carlisle Bellewes travelled the area between Wickepin and Hyden on his trusty BSA Bantam motorcyle, intent of bringing the word of God to the local community.
With a box on the back for his Bible and some food he visited many a local property, arriving much to the surprise of the farmer`s wife as there were no phones to warn of his coming. This sudden appearance often caused panic as a visit from God`s representative deserved the best cups and saucers, clean and tidy children and the presence of Dad (who may well have been up in the shed or out in the paddocks).
The sculptural impression of the man and his motorcycle was created by local scrap-metal artist Gordon Bristow-Baohm, while the interpretive panel was organised by Mrs Val Mouritz as a tribute to the Reverend`s determination to minister to his people no matter where they lived.