www.monumentaustralia.org.au

James RayPrint Page Print this page

21-November-2015
21-November-2015
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A plaque commemorates James Ray who was the first Churchwarden, treasurer of the church, and the Superintendent of the Sunday School.

A meeting of the joint committee composed of members of the Hamilton Council and a number of parishioners of St. Peter's Church of England, was held at the council-chambers last evening, to complete arrangements in connection with the handing over and unveiling of the Ray memorials. Alderman Melville occupied the chair, and there were also present Alderman Birrell, Mr. E. E. Marshall (council clerk), Rev. T. W. Ramm, Messrs. A. Gardiner, E. Sage, and O. Woodcock. Some time ago action was taken by the committee with the object of having tablets placed in the council-chamber and St. Peter's Church, in memory of the late Mr. James Ray, who had been the first council clerk to the municipality, and who had fllled the position for 33 years. He had also been one of the earliest members of the congregation of St. Peter's Church, and a continuous worker in its interest up to the time of his decease. Mr. Gardiner reported that the tablets had been received from Sydney, and the work had been carried out satisfactorily. Alderman Melville having been deputed to hand over one tablet to the Rev. Mr. Ramm for the church, did so, and that gentleman, in acceptling it, tendered his thanks to the subscribers for perpetuating the memory of Mr. Ray, who had done so much for the church, promising that every care would be taken of it. He said it was intended to unveil it on Sunday afternoon next, and the Mayor would be asked to perform the ceremony. 
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW), 29 May 1906.

Location

Address:148 Denison Street, St Peters Anglican Church, Hamilton, 2303
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.924638
Long: 151.742941
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd June, 1906
Front Inscription

                       To the
                  Glory of God

This tablet placed here by the Parishioners of Hamilton

      In Memory of JAMES RAY
     who died 28th July 1904.
            Aged 79 years

He was the first Churchwarden and
       Treasurer of this Church.  
Also Su
perintendent of the Sunday School.
He laboured diligently and earnestly in
this Corner of GOD`S Vineyard.

He was a just man and one that feared
                  GOD. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design