Cecil SmithPrint Page
Two stained glass windows in the Chancel of the Cathedral commemorate Cecil Eric Smith, who was the Registrar of the Diocese of North Queensland from 1926 to 1972.
In the first window the Gothic top contains “the two tablets containing the Ten Commandments” while in the main panel may be seen “the sword and scales of justice”. Imposed upon this sword is the Holy Bible, upon which oaths are sworn. The judicial wig alludes to the traditional office of Chancellor.
In the second window the Gothic head panel depicts the owl, symbol of wisdom, and in the main panel may be seen the early Christian ‘fish” symbols and the Greek letters alpha and omega – the beginning and the end – representing the Almighty. Also included are symbols of the Holy Eucharist and finally the shell, one of the emblems of St. James.
The memorial inscription plate, containing the abbreviation A.M.D.G. (to the greater glory of God) is at the base of each of the windows.
|Address:||36 Cleveland Terrace, St James Cathedral , Townsville, 4810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.255459|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1926|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1972|
|Monument Designer:||Oliver Cowley|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1976|
and in memory of Cecil Eric Smith