Bishop John SelwynPrint Page Print this page

A brass tablet commemorates Bishop John Selwyn, Bishop of Melanesia.

John Richardson Selwyn (1844 – 1898) was an Anglican priest who became the second Bishop of Melanesia and then the second Master of  Selwyn College, Cambridge.  

Selwyn was ordained deacon by his father at Lichfield in 1869 and became a priest the following year. He served as curate of All saints Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire from 1869 to 1870, then curate of St George's Church, Wolverhampton from 1870 to 1871, before promotion to Vicar of St George's. In 1873 Selwyn travelled to Melanesia as a missionary , and four years later was consecrated Bishop of Melanesia. He made significant financial contributions to the construction of the Southern Cross No. 4 ship, serving the Melanesian Mission. 

Illness forced him to return to England in 1892. Selwyn was appointed the second Master of Selwyn College, Cambridge in 1893, a position he held until his death in 1898 at the age of 53. 


Address:Douglas Drive, St. Barnabas Chapel, Norfolk Island, 2899
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.034207
Long: 167.927854
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Source: AHO, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design