William & Fanny WarnerPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The base of the font and railings commemorate William Warner, headmaster of the Parochial School for nine years, and his wife Fanny.

An impressive service was conducted at Christ Church, St. Laurence, Sydney, on Saturday afternoon, by Bishop Stretch, of Newcastle, for the dedication of the east window, organ, lectern, and other memorials. The window, which is a beautiful work of art, representing the "Te Deum," was built to replace the one recently destroyed by fire. It was erected in memory of the late William Grant Broughton, first Bishop of Sydney. The lectern was in memory of Alexander Oliver, Katherine Alice Oliver, and Edith Constance Oliver. Amongst other memorials were a railing and marble steps round the font in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Warner, and the fresco of the sanctuary wall in memory of Miss Woolley. Special lessons and Psalms were read, and the choir rendered music appropriate to the occasion. Towards the close of the service the Bishop of Newcastle said: "We declare these gifts, which have been offered to beautify the place of His Sanctuary, to be duly dedicated and set apart to the service and glory of Almighty God, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." 
Sydney Morning Herald, 17 July 1906.


Address:812 George Street, Christ Church St Laurence, Sydney, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.882041
Long: 151.204727
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th July, 1906
Front Inscription

The marble base and rails about this font
were erected to the Memory of William Warner
for nine years headmaster of the Parochial School,
and of Fanny, his wife, by some of their
friends and fellow - worshippers, A. D. 1906

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design