John Oliver FeethamPrint Page
A church commemorates John Oliver Feetham, who was the fourth Bishop of North Queensland. The church was severely damaged in Cyclone Yasi, and is is the only church in Australia dedicated to a bishop.
John Feetham was unanimously elected to the See of North Queensland in October 1912 following the resignation of Bishop Frodsham. Feetham was consecrated on St Mark's Day 1913 in St John's Cathedral, Brisbane. He was enthroned as Bishop of North Queensland in St James’ Cathedral, Townsville on 4 May 1913. Feetham was Bishop of North Queensland for thirty-four years. His episcopate spanned crucial years in the development of North Queensland. In both world wars he was a vigorous exponent and supporter of the allied cause. In fighting for what he believed, in church and state, there could be no half measures, and like many other public figures, he was a proconscriptionist in 1916 and 1917. He was favourable to the Labor Party at first, but by the end of the 1920s was critical of it.
Feetham contributed much to the maintenance of the Bush Brotherhood, and to the spread of religion in the outback. He inspired the Brothers to see country people as epitomising the virtues of an Australian character partly formed by the bush itself. The success of his appeals for financial support from the pastoral companies indicates the influence of this outlook. During his episcopate, Feetham established many schools. Among the schools he founded were All Souls’ and St Gabriel's in Charters Towers, St Anne's in Townsville, and St Mary's in Herberton.
Feetham resigned shortly before his death on 14 September 1947.
|Address:||Bruce Highway & Liverpool Street, John Oliver Feetham Pioneer Memorial Anglican Church, Cardwell, 4849|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -18.262712|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
John Oliver Feetham Pioneer Memorial
This Foundation Stone Was Set By
Colonel Sir Henry Abel SMith K.C.M.G. K.C.V.O. D.S.O.
Governor Of Queensland
On 26th January 1964 In The Year Of
Cardwells Centenary Priest K. A. Jackson T.h.L.
This stone was salvaged from
the original church on this site
which was destroyed
by Cyclone Yasi
It was re-laid
in the foundations
oF the new church
in April 2012