Pastor F. & Mrs M. AlbrechtPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders
A bell tower commemorates the services provided to the Aboriginal people by Lutheran Minister Pastor F. W. Albrecht and his wife Minna from 1926 to 1966.

Albrecht was sent to the Finke River Mission in Central Australia on completion of his studies but not before receiving tuition in English in America. On 14 September 1925, Albrecht married Minna Maria Margaretha Gevers from Germany, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The couple then sailed for Australia arriving in Sydney on 18 October 1925 and then headed for South Australia.

Albrecht was ordained a pastor on 14 February 1926 at Nuriootpa, South Australia. In April, the Albrechts arrived in Hermannsburg replacing Carl Friedrich Theodor Strehlow as Superintendent and remained until 1952. During this time Albrecht became fluent in the local Aboriginal language. This enabled him to continue the Bible and language translations, preach in Arrernte, and train Aboriginal evangelists. Albrecht was also concerned about Aboriginal welfare, created employment opportunities, campaigned for Aboriginal settlements such as Areyonga and with financial assistance ensured construction of a pipeline from Koporilja Springs to provide permanent water at Hermannsburg.

In 1952 the family, moved to Alice Springs, Northern Territory and then to Linden Park, South Australia in 1962. Albrecht was awarded an MBE in 1958 and an Officer's Cross of the Order of Merit in 1973 by the Federal Republic of Germany. Albrecht published essays and papers about Aboriginal people in Central Australia.

Albrecht died at Fullarton, South Australia on 16 March 1984, four months after his wife.


Address:Gap Road & Strehlow Street, Lutheran Church, Alice Springs, 0870
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.714401
Long: 133.874432
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Approx. Event Start Date:1926
Approx. Event End Date:1966
Link: http://adb.anu.edu.au/


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th May, 1967
Front Inscription

This Belfry Is Erected In Recognition Of The Spiritual And
Humanitarian Service To The Australian Natives Rendered By
During The Years 1926 To 1966

Dedicated on 7th May 1967

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design