Archdeacon James HoganPrint Page
The tower and clock of the church was erected to commemorate Archdeacon James Hogan who was the first pastor of this church.
Widespread and profound regret was expressed here today when it became known that the Venerable Archdeacon Hogan had passed away. Deceased was the first Catholic pastor of this district in the early fifties, and to his then and subsequent indefatigable labours is in a great measure due the front rank position which the local Catholic Church and schools connected time with hold in this part of the colony. He was, unquestionably, one of the most deservedly popular clergymen in Tasmama, for while he was the beloved and revered pastor of one section of the people, he was the friend of all.
The Mercury (Hobart), 8th September 1899.
The dedication of the new tower and clock, and unveiling of the tablet, erected at Holy Trinity Church, Westbury, to the memory of the late Archdeacon Hogan, took place yesterday in the presence of a large attendance. The total cost of the work has been £952, of which £633 has been paid. The collections today totalled £67.
The North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times, 2nd December 1901.
|Address:||Meander Valley Road, Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, Westbury, 7303|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.526332|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st December, 1901|
In affectionate remembrance of the Venerable Archdeacon Hogan, fifty years resident pastor, Westbury.
This tower and clock have been erected by friends of all denominations.
A. D. 1901
Father James Hogan 1825 - 1899
Born Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
Westbury`s first resident priest who served this community for 50 years. Handsome and energetic, he won the hearts of every family.
A mighty horseman who rarely bothered with roads when visiting his scattered flock. He and his white horse, Mars, would be seen from miles away, jumping fences as they came.
Instrumental in the building of the Holy Trinity Church (1874), aiding the escape of Irish rebel John Mitchel (1853), and establishing Tasmania`s first Convent of the Sisters of St Joseph at Westbury (1887).
Father Hogan is buried beside the altar inside his own church. The church clock tower was erected in 1901 in his honour by a grateful community of all denominations.