Saint Mary of the Cross MackillopPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the presence of Saint Mary of the Cross Mackillop in Trunkey Creek .
The Sisters of St. Joseph had taught in Trunkey Creek from 1874-1876, during the gold rush period and Mary MacKillop had visited the Sisters there in 1876.
Mary Helen MacKillop RSJ, also known as St Mary of the Cross MacKillop, was an Australian of Scottish descent who has been declared a saint by the Catholic Church. Together with the Reverend Julian Tenison Woods, she founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart, a congregation of religious sisters which established a number of schools and welfare institutions throughout Australasia, with an emphasis on education for the rural poor.
On 17 July 2008, Pope Benedict XVI prayed at her tomb during his visit to Sydney for World Youth Day 2008. On 19 December 2009, Pope Benedict approved the Catholic Church's recognition of a second miracle attributed to her intercession. She was canonised on 17 October 2010 during a public ceremony in St Peter's Square at the Vatican. She is the only Australian thus far to be recognised by the Catholic Church as a saint.
|Address:||Arthur Street, near Community Hall , Trunkey Creek , 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.81844|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 18th February, 2014|
SAINT MARY OF THE CROSS MACKILLOP
"The Australian People's Saint"
Saint Mary of the Cross came to
Trunkey Creek January 1876
She Visited :
The Sisters of St Joseph
(Convent. Hobby's Yards Road)
St Joseph's School
(Cnr Old Bathurst Road & Grove Creek Road)
St Joseph's Church
Trustees of the Sisters of St Joseph.