Richard Green & John TeveleinPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Richard Green who was the secretary, and John Tevelein who was the superintendent of the church school.
John Tevelein was born in Canterbury, Kent, England, in 1804. He served his apprenticeship in a saddlery and harness business there and in 1837 joined a pioneer group of settlers who set forth in an endeavour to colonise South Australia. The hardships of the settlers were overwhelming and starvation only avoided by the consumption of native animals. John became an expert at survival and, with his trusty rifle and good marksmanship, did much to alleviate the sufferings of his fellows.
Eventually John and several companions set out in the schooner 'Tam O'Shanter' for Sydney, but their vessel was driven down the North East Coast of Van Diemen's Land and was wrecked. All the passengers and crew were saved and the site has been Tam O'Shanter Bay ever since. John and the others reached the settlement of George Town safely and he eventually settled in Launceston and entered into his trade as saddler in Charles Street with a Mr Stubbs as partner. He continued in business until he retired in 1875.
John Tevelein sought not to be a public figure although he was a member of several committees. He was the founder of the Teetotal Society, and a member of the Independent Order of Rechabites, which he joined in 1841. He was secretary and trustee of the Temperance Society and secretary of the Launceston Benevolent Society. He took a leading part in the AntiTransportation Movement and had many dealings with the Reverend John West and Richard Dry. He took great interest in the establishment of the Working Men's Club and acted as vice-president from its beginning.
He best known for his work at Holy Trinity Church as superintendent of the Sunday School for forty years from its formation. He was also Synod representative for Trinity for many years. He died suddenly in September 1879 at his residence in upper Charles Street. In his memory a marble plaque was erected in the Trinity Sunday School to commemorate the lives of John and his friend and co-worker, Richard Creen
It is our task to record the demise of another of our oldest colonists in the person of Mr John Tevelein, who died yesterday at the advanced ago of 75, after a residence in Launceston of 42 years. The deceased was associated with the Launceston Benevolent Society almost since its establishment, and took the greatest trouble in seeing that the funds of the charity were properly applied. The work to him was a labour of love, and it will be difficult to find another to occupy the position so worthily. Associated with the late Mr Richard Green as secretary, Mr Tevelein, as superintendent, was connected with the Trinity Church Sunday school almost from its infancy, and was deservedly esteemed and respected by his co-workers and charges.
Launceston Examiner, 6th September 1879.
|Address:||Cameron & George Streets, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.434379|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Erected by the teachers and scholars of this Sunday School
In loving memory of Richard Green late Secretary of this school died Sept. 22nd 1878 and John Tevelin died Sept. 5th 1879
They were both earnest workers in, and zealous and munificent supporters of, the school.
The former for 33 years and the latter for 40 years.
"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord. They rest from their labours and their works do follow them."