Blessed Mary MacKillopPrint Page Print this page

Blessed Mary MacKillop : Feb 2014
Blessed Mary MacKillop : Feb 2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

A statue commemorates Australia's first saint, Blessed Mary MacKillop.

Mary MacKillop (15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909), also known as Saint Mary of the Cross,was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Tenison Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart and a number of schools and welfare institutions throughout Australasia with an emphasis on education for the poor, particularly in country areas. 

On 19 December 2009, Pope Benedict XVI approved the Roman Catholic Church's recognition of a second miracle attributed to her intercession. She was canonised on 17 October 2010 during a public ceremony in St Peter's Square at the Vatican. She is the only Australian to be recognised by the Roman Catholic Church as a saint.


Address:Edward Street, Australian Catholic University, North Sydney, 2060
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.83741
Long: 151.203701
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Monument Designer:Linda Klarfeld


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 13th November, 2008
Front Inscription

(Plaque 1 )

This statue of
patron of this campus
was unveiled and blessed by
His Eminence Cardinal George Pell AC
Archbishop of Sydney
13th November 2008

Linda Klarfeld - Sculptor

(Plaque 2)
    Blessed Mary MacKillop
       was canonised as
Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop
    17 October 2010

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design