Reverend P. WalshePrint Page Print this page

A stained glass window commemorates Reverend P. Walshe who was in charge of Footscray and Williamtown parishes for many years.

Notification of the decease of Very Rev. P. B. Walshe, late pastor of St. Mary's Church. Wllliamstown, on Wednesday morning, was received with emotion by the late rev. gentleman's large circle of local friends, and signs of mourning were everywhere displayed.  Father Walshe was born at Ballyhemmen, County Kilkenny, Ireland, and, having embraced the church, his college career was marked with signal success. In 1874 he received ordination, and at once came to this colony, later on being appointed to Williamstown where he endeared himself to his parishioners and all who had the fortune to win his friendship. Three years ago Father Walshe was appointed  administrator at St. Francis'. To the numerous poor and to casual applicants for relief, Father Walshe was a generous and unfailing friend in their time of need.
Williamstown Chronicle (Vic) , 7th April 1894.

At 11 o’clock to-morrow at St. Monica’s Church there will be unveiled a memorial to the late Rev. P. Walshe, who was for many years in charge of the Footscray and Williamstown parishes. The memorial is a beautiful 3 light stained glass window representing the crucifixion, with bases and canopies of architectural and floriated design, the later consisting of a treatment of the Passion flower. The bases contain sacred emblems and monograms with the lily and the rose. The richness and harmony of the colouring has been produced by the use of the finest antique glass. The window, which will commend itself to the most artistic taste and judgement, will be a handsome ornament to St. Monica’s
Independent (Footscray), 8th August 1896.


Address:Whitehall & Wingfield Streets, St Monica`s Catholic Church, Footscray, 3011
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.801003
Long: 144.906359
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th August, 1896
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design