Archdeacon William HutchinsPrint Page
Memorial commemorates William Hutchins, who was Archdeacon of Van Diemen's Land.
The Venerable William Hutchins (18 March 1792 – 4 June 1841) was an English churchman and academic, a Fellow of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Hutchins became the first and only Anglican Archdeacon of Van Diemen's Land, a position offered him in 1836 by William Grant Broughton, bishop of Australia. Hutchins was a strong supporter of education through the Church, and because of this, The Hutchins School in Hobart was named in his honour.
Immediately after his funeral a public meeting was convened, Sir John Pedder presiding, at which it was decided to found a grammar school in Hobart in his memory. Lieutenant-Governor Franklin consented to become the patron of the movement, and headed the first subscription list. The school, to be known as the Archdeacon Hutchins School, was eventually established on 3 August 1846, under the auspices of the Church of England.
|Address:||Davey Street, St Davids Park, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.885732|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1970|
`Mark the perfect man and behold the upright for the end of that man is peace"
Sacred to the memory of William Hutchins
Archdeacon Van Diemen`s Land
Died 4th June 1841
49 years of age