William GellibrandPrint Page
A tablet commemorates William Gellibrand, one of the first Trustees of the Church.
In 1824 William Gellibrand and his son Joseph arrived in Van Diemen’s Land. William was a well-connected settler and was granted 2000 acres of land at South Arm and assigned ten convicts. Over the years many convicts, men and women, served under him. He was known for the care he showed them, providing them with a comfortable hut and clothing that did not distinguish them as prisoners.
William helped some convicts to establish a fresh start giving them the opportunity to raise families and contribute to founding the community of South Arm. William Gellibrand was a significant figure in Colonial society. He was a merchant and exporter and served as a Justice of Peace.
|Address:||Elizabeth Street, Korean Full Gospel Church, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.879482|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Removed from the chapel A.D. 1872
In memory of William Gellibrand, one of the first Trustees of this Chapel, who died on the 27th September 1840, aged 75 years ; after a painful illness, which he bore with Christian fortitude and submission.
He was courteous and affable in his deportment, benevolent and generous in his disposition, original and independent in tone of thought, and of uncompromising integirty of purpose.
His mortal remains are interred at his late residence, South Arm, in a vault prepared under his own superintendence.
Rev. xxii. 3.