www.monumentaustralia.org.au

George F. BelcherPrint Page Print this page

07-December-2013
07-December-2013

Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford

Memorial tablet commemorates George F Belcher for his contributions to the church. The tablet is located in front of the old wooden church building in Normanby Street.

Belcher was appointed vice-consul at Geelong for Norway and Sweden in 1872, and for Denmark in 1881. He was elected mayor of Geelong in 1873, and again in 1875.  He represented South-Western Province in 1875-81 and Wellington Province in 1882-86 in the Legislative Council, and was on the Geelong Grammar School Council from 1884, succeeding Sir Charles Sladen. He was the effective founder of St Matthew's Church, East Geelong, and from 1877 was closely linked with St Mark's Church, Leopold. He died at Merchiston Hall on 23 November 1909.

Location

Address:230 McKillop Street, St Matthew`s Anglican Church, East Geelong, 3219
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.158324
Long: 144.372884
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion
Link: http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonl…

Dedication

Front Inscription

                 This Tablet
                Is Erected By
The Congregation Of St Matthews Church,
And Teachers And Scholars Of The Sunday School

      In loving And Grateful Memory
                    — Of  —
  THE HON. GEORGE F. BELCHER 
Who Died 23rd November 1909
                Aged 33 Years

This Church And Sunday School, Where
He Ministered And Laboured For Many Years
Were Founded Mainly Through His Generosity.

"He Being Dead Yet He Speaketh"
                                    Heb. XL : 4 :

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design