Canon L. E. J. GrayPrint Page
The pavement of the Baptismal Font in the church was given by the parishioners in memory of Canon L. E. J. Gray who was the Rector of the Parish from 1924 to 1941. The font was erected by his mother.
In the presence of a large congregation last Sunday, Archdeacon Tress dedicated the Font in the Church of St. Thomas. The Font has been provided "to the glory of God, and in memory of Leonard Edward Joseph Gray" — the late rector. The Font was given by Canon Gray's mother, and the pavement by the parishioners. Archdeacon Tress, who has been seriously ill since he last visited Port Macquarie, appeared to be quite strong and well, and made reference in his sermon to the late Canon Gray, and the sacrament for which the Font is used. Prayers were said for Mrs. Gray, senr., who is seriously ill, at the age of 90 years, and a memorial was made of the late rector, as well as the donors of the pavement. The Font and pavement are in stone, as being more in keeping with the church than marble.
Port Macquarie News and Hastings River Advocate (NSW),
13 February 1943.
|Address:||Hay Street , St Thomas` Anglican Church, Port Macquarie, 2444|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.432045|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1924|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1941|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th February, 1943|
To The Glory Of God
And In Memory Of Canon L. E. J. Gray
Rector Of This Parish 1924 - 1941
Died 16th September 1941
"For So He Giveth His Beloved Sleep" Psi 27-3
Erected By His Mother
In Thankfulness For A Faithful Ministry The Pavement
Of This Font Was Given By The Parishioners