Charles George Bishop (Bishop`s Walk) Print Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Tom Bird

Bishop's Walk was originally a footpath named in 1982 by the Albury-Wodonga Corporation in honour of Charles Bishop who was a former Health Inspector. The footpath was off Ironbark Way in the St John’s Green housing estate in an area which is now known as Bishop`s Walk Park. A plaque was unveiled by the RSL at park in March 2012 dedicating the parkland to his memory. 

Charles George Bishop was an Albury soldier who earned the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Military Medal and Bar in 1918.  He was a soldier, labourer and council inspector, and was born on 12 September 1895 at Urana, New South Wales, the son of Charles George Bishop, labourer, and his wife Violet Jane, née Stripling. 

In April 1918 he was awarded the Military Medal for leading an attack on an enemy patrol of thirty men at Pont Rouge, Belgium. During a patrol action on 8 March, German scouts had been seen entering a trench; Sergeant Bishop and three men, with covering fire from their mates, assaulted the enemy from a flank and routed them. In September he received the Distinguished Conduct Medal for 'conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty' on 15 April 1918, while in charge of a mopping up party at Cemetery Copse in the Villers-Bretonneux sector.

He had to contend with an unexpectedly large number of Germans, but accomplished his task by bringing in neighbouring troops to assist in a prolonged action. His last encounter with the enemy was at Morlancourt on 19 May 1918. Although wounded in the face during the preliminary bombardment, he took charge of a party and reached the objective, rescued a wounded officer and took his place, until he too was wounded and evacuated. For this action, he was awarded a Bar to his Military Medal.


Address:Ironbark Road & Yellow Gum Way, Bishop`s Walk , Thurgoona, 2640
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.046442
Long: 146.979381
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 31st March, 2012
Front Inscription

              BISHOP`S WALK

This Parklands Is Dedicated To The Memory Of
18th Battalion - 5th Brigade - 2nd Division A.I.F.
Died 17 September 1931, Aged 36 years,
From Wounds Sustained While On Active
Service In The Great War Of
            1914 - 1918
Formerly Health Inspector In This Area
He Placed His Country First

This Plaque Erected By
The Albury Sailors, Soldiers and Airmens Club Ltd
In Conjunction With
The Albury R.S.L. Sub-branch

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design