Air Vice-Marshall Wilfred A. McCloughryPrint Page
Electric chimes in the Brougham Place Congregational Church were dedicated as a memorial to Air Vice Marshall Wilfred McCloughry.
On General Birdwood's recommendation Wilfred obtained a permanent commission in the Royal Air Force in August 1919 as squadron leader. In 1922 he attended the first R.A.F. Staff College course and graduated from the Imperial Defence College in 1931. Promoted Group Captain in July 1934, he was posted to Egypt and in July 1936, as acting air commodore, he was appointed air officer commanding Aden Command.
During the battle of Britain Wilfred commanded No.9 Fighter Group and in 1942, appointed C.B. and air vice marshal, became Air Officer Commanding, Egypt. On 4 January 1943 he died in an aircraft crash near Heliopolis and was buried in Cairo War Cemetery.
The first electric chimes installed in a South Australian church will be heard at the Brougham Place, Adelaide, on Sunday. They will be dedicated as a memorial to the late Air Vice-Marshal W. A. McClaughry, formerly of Adelaide, who lost his life in Egypt during the war. The minister of the church (Rev.John Bryant) will deliver a special sermon at night on "The Church, Ex-servicemen, and Rehabilitation." Servicemen and women associated with the church have been invited to attend.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 8 February 1946.
|Address:||193 Brougham Place, Brougham Place Uniting Church , North Adelaide , 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.909508|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th February, 1946|