www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Major Clifford Richardson M.C.Print Page Print this page

27-November-2015
27-November-2015

Photographs supplied by John Huth

Gates commemorate Major C. R. Richardson, a former pupil of the school who died in 1946. The gates on Barney Street, a gift from J. Richardson & Co. Limited , were opened and blessed by Bishop Moyes on 18  August, 1957. 

Clifford Russell Richardson attended the Armidale School from February 1901 to Easter 1907. He was a prefect, vice-captain of the 1st XI, a member of the 1st XV and a sergeant in the cadets. He enlisted soon after war was declared in 1914 and sailed to Egypt later that year. Landing in Gallipoli, he was severely wounded in his right arm. The first Australian officer to be awarded the Military Cross, he died in 1946, aged 56.
 

Location

Address:61 Barney Street, The Armidale School, Armidale, 2350
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.519081
Long: 151.673831
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Military

Dedication

Left Side Inscription

These gates were erected in memory of Major C. R. Richardson M.C.

An old boy of the school

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design