Master Sergeant J BaumanPrint Page
Octagonal band rotunda commemorates Master Sergeant J Bauman of the 41st US division.
Between mid 1942 and early 1944 the area surrounding Rockhampton sustained thousands of US soldiers who were fighting in the Pacific and this St Christopher`s chapel was constructed to service the religious needs of those troops. Erected within Area 'A' of Camp Nerimbera (a convalescent camp for US personnel) in 1943, by the US 542nd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment, St Christopher's Chapel is located west of St Christopher's Chapel Road, to the southeast of Rockhampton.
In 1958, Master Sergeant Jack Bauman, US Army, returned to Rockhampton and attempted to raise funds for the restoration of the chapel. Jack Bauman died before funds were raised but the 41st Division in America forwarded $130 to the American 41st Division Association in Rockhampton to paint the chapel.
|Address:||St Christophers Chapel Rd, Chapel, Nerimbera, 4701|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.422175|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|