General William Birdwood (Birdwood House)Print Page
Birdwood House was named after General Birdwood, Commander of the ANZACs at Gallipoli. Birdwood House was completed in 1935 by Mr A.E. Crothers, to a design by Mr Tom Roberts. The official unveiling of the War Memorial and opening of Birdwood House were carried out on the 1 September 1935, by His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor, Sir James Mitchell and Mr A. Yeates, State President of the RSL, respectively.
Field Marshal William Riddell Birdwood, 1st Baron Birdwood, GCB, GCSI, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, CIE, DSO (13 September 1865 – 17 May 1951) was a First World War British general who is best known as the commander of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) during the Gallipoli Campaign in 1915.
The Geraldton R.S.L. are unveiling the War Memorial and officially opening Birdwood House, at the corner of Eleanor and Forrest streets, on Sunday, September 1, at 3 p.m. The occasion will be celebrated appropriately, and Alf. Anderson (president) and Frank Dunne (secretary) are leaving nothing undone on the organising side. A big crowd is expected, and representatives of several other sub-branches will be present to congratulate the diggers of Geraldton on many years of good work, of which the memorial and the building will be tangible evidence.
Western Mail (Perth), 22nd August 1935.
|Address:||Chapman Road & Forrest Street, Geraldton, 6530|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.771111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Tom Roberts|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr A. E. Crothers|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st September, 1935|
1939 - 1945