Duke of WellingtonPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Duke of Wellington Bridge was named in honour the first Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, after whom this valley was named the Wellington Valley on August 19, 1817 by Lieutenant John Oxley, the Surveyor-General for the Colony of New South Wales.

The bridge was named in 1990 by the 8th Duke of Wellington, Arthur Valerian Wellesley, in the 175th anniversary year of the Battle of Waterloo. A plaque near the site of the bridge commemorates the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Wellington for the naming ceremony. 

Field Marshall Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG,GCB,GCH,PC,FRS (1 May 1769 – 14 September 1852), was an Anglo-Irish soldier and statesman, and one of the leading military and political figures of 19th-century Britain.  His defeat of Napoléon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 put him in the top rank of Britain's military heroes. 

During the Hundred Days in 1815, he commanded the allied army which defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, together with a Prussian army under Blücher. Wellesley's battle record is exemplary; he ultimately participated in some 60 battles during the course of his military career.

Wellington is famous for his adaptive defensive style of warfare, resulting in several victories against a numerically superior force while minimising his own losses. He is regarded as one of the greatest defensive commanders of all time, and many of his tactics and battle plans are still studied in military academies around the world.


Address:Herbert Street, Duke of Wellington Bridge, Wellington, 2820
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.543335
Long: 148.934817
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event STart Date:02-August-1890
Actual Event End Date:02-August-1990


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 2nd August, 1990
Front Inscription

               MACQUARIE RIVER


Inscription in Proximity

This Plaque Commemorates
The V
isit To Wellington N.S.W.
On August 2, 1990
Of Their Graces
The Duke And Duchess Of Wellington

At This Site On August 2, 1890,(sic) In The Year Of The
175th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Waterloo,
His Grace, Arthur Valerian Wellesley, K.G., L.V.O., O.B.E, M.C., D.L.
The 8th Duke Of Wellington, Named The Adjacent Bridge
"The Duke Of Wellington Bridge"
In Honour Of The Original Duke Of Wellington
Arthur Wellesley, After Who This Valley Was Named
The Wellington Valley On August 19, 1817
By Lt. John Oxley, R.N. Surveyor-General For The Colony.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design