Sir John RamsayPrint Page
The Sir John Ramsay Memorial Library at the Launceston General Hospital was established in 1944 to commemorate Sir John Ramsay
Ramsay was surgeon-superintendent, Launceston General Hospital 1898-1912, when he commenced private practice at St Margaret's, a hospital which he designed and built himself. In 1906 he performed the first successful resuscitation of the heart by massage in Australia, opening the thorax of a patient who had clinically died during an operation.
The Ramsay Memorial Library Fund is growing steadily. Additions to the general committee raising this fund to provide the General Hospital with a medical reference library, to be known as the Sir John Ramsay Memorial Library, are Senator C. A. Lamp and Messrs. H. C. Barnard, M.H.R.. J. Hadfield. E. E. Jackson, A. J. Higgins, A. Hollingsworth and J. Gordon Duncan. In forwarding a cheque for £5 5/- Mr. J. A. Birchall. managing director of Birchalls, writes: "We have very much pleasure in subscribing to this fund, as it will provide both a memorial to the work of Sir John and a very necessary medical library."
Examiner (Launceston), 11th December 1943.
|Address:||274-280 Charles Street , Level 2, Launceston General Hospital , Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.4464873|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1944|
Ramsay Memorial Library
This library was founded with funds donated by the general public and books donated by the British Medical Association (Nthn. Division) to the memory of Sir John Ramsay Kt., C.B.E., C. St. J., M.S., F.R.A.C.S.
House Surgeon. 1896 - 1898
Surgeon Superintendent 1898 - 1912
Member Board of Management 1923 - 1944
Chairman 1933 - 1944