Dr. Allan CampbellPrint Page
The former Allen Campbell building which is part of the Adelaide Children's Hospital was named to commemorate the efforts of Dr Allan Campbell, who maintained a close association with the Hospital, equipping operating theatres, giving lectures and promoting improvements within the hospital. Dr Allan Campbell was one of the founders of the Adelaide Children`s Hospital. The building is now known as the Ronald McDonald Children's Clinic.
In 1876 Campbell`s practical suggestions formed the basis of the report of the government`s commission on sanitation, of which he was a member. It suggested increased power for the Central Board of Health, to which he was later nominated, and the appointment of district health officers. Soon Adelaide became the first Australian capital to undertake a deep-drainage sewage system. He then formed a committee to raise funds to build a hospital for poor children. Two years later the Adelaide Children's Hospital and Training School for Nurses opened; Campbell's architectural knowledge had influenced its design. In 1878 Campbell had been elected to the Legislative Council; he remained a member until his death.
|Address:||58 King William Road, Adelaide Children`s Hospital, North Adelaide, 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.911621|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Alfred Wells (architect)|