Benson Memorial Drinking FountainPrint Page
A fountain erected by public subscription in memory of Dr. John Benson, a local doctor who practised in Kensington between the 1860s and 1877.
When the news passed round Kensington that the Doctor Benson was dangerously ill with pneumonia, prayers were offered for his recovery in the churches and a crowd gathered outside his residence in High Street on the last three nights before his death.
His death was marked by shuttered shops, flags at half -mast and a funeral train that extended from King William Street to the Kent Town Brewery. A public meeting was held shortly after his death and the Reverend Dr Tappeiner, on behalf of the Sisters of St Joseph offered a piece of land for the memorial. Funds were collected by a committee and the Council donated a lamp to surmount the memorial. The memorial was unveiled in 1879 by the Mayor (Mr S.D.Glyde)
A large number of the inhabitants of Norwood and Kensington assembled at 4 o'clock on Saturday, June 14, at the corner of High Street and Kensington terrace between Kensington and and Norwood, to witness the unveiling of a fountain which has been erected by public subscription in memory of Dr. Benson, who died in 1877, and who from his widespread charity and kindliness of heart had made himself a favourite with all classes of the local community. The F Company of volunteer infantry, under the command of Captain Glyde, and the local Oddfellows and Foresters formed in procession at the Town Hall at half-past 3, and marched to the scene of the ceremonial.
South Australian Register (Adelaide), 16 June 1879.
|Address:||Portrush Road & High Street, Kensington, 5068|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.921866|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th June, 1879|
ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF THE LATE JOHN BENSON SURGEON 1877