James RamsayPrint Page
A drinking fountain , with funds raised by a group of individuals with the support of the Prahran City Council, was erected to the memory of Dr. James Kerr Ramsey. The fountain, no longer in working order, is made of basalt and marble with granite columns and lead letters for the inscription. The fountain once stood in front of the church.
James Kerr Ramsay graduated in medicine in Glasgow in 1863. He arrived in Victoria in 1870 and practiced in Koroit before taking becoming resident medical officer at the Alfred Hospital in Prahran. In 1872 he resigned from the hospital and took up a practice in South Yarra. In 1900 he purchased land at 244 Malvern Road which is still used as a surgery. He was known for his generosity to poorer members of the community.
|Address:||246 Malvern Road, Princes Gardens, Prahran, 3181|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.8525|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Chambers and Clutton, Monumental Masons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th November, 1917|
Unveiled by H. Upton J.P. Mayor Nov. 17th 1907
Erected to the memory of the late J.K. Ramsay M.D. by admiring friends
Deeds not words