Nurse Sarah SchwarzelPrint Page
Fountain originally erected by public subscription in 1937 in memory of Nurse Sarah Ann Schwarzel. Originally located at the intersection of Anderson Avenue and Towers Street, Panania, it was moved to its present position at the library in 1971.
Sarah won the gratitude and respect of the residents of the East Hills district when she recognized the need within the district for health and medical care, and became the district midwife, due to its isolation, professional and medical services were not readily available with the closest doctor being in Bankstown and the closest hospital was the Cottage Hospital at Auburn, which meant a long and often uncomfortable trip by horse and cart, many of the babies born in the southern side of the Bankstown district owe their very existence to the caring and dedication of this remarkable woman. Whether Sarah had professional training or not is not known however she became extremely competent, never overestimating her abilities and always referring her patients to the care of a doctor or hospital if necessary. Sarah was called to the homes of her patients in a variety of ways, the ringing of cowbell, or an older child or father- to- be sent to fetch her, in the early days she was often seen making her way through the bush at night by hurricane lamp. It was never necessary to announce the arrival of a new baby, Nurse Schwarzel's pony and trap ties up outside a house set the "bush telegraph" into full operation. In remembrance of her years of dedicated service to the community the residents of the area after her death in 1937 showed their appreciation, affection and esteem by erecting a memorial.
|Address:||Tower Street & Anderson Avenue, Outside Panania Library, Panania, 2213|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.955783|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1937|
Nurse Sarah Schwarzel from her fellow citizens
with affectionate remembrance 1937