Dr. Tony LopesPrint Page
A monument commemorates the life and work of Dr. Tony Lopes who served the community for over thirty-five years.
Dr Lopes was the resident General Practitioner from 1952-1988. Duringt his 36-year-period he visited the hospital everyday, and for 25 of those years he worked as an “honorary”doctor at the hospital, meaning that, until the advent of medicare in the late 1970’s, his work was unpaid.
He was described as “ hardworking”, “self-effacing , “compassionate” and “ extremely dedicated. Dr Lopes' dedication was so great, that he rarely took holidays, worked six day weeks, never complained when called on at night and willingly did “house calls." His medical colleagues recognised his dedication and nominated him for an MBE. He was awarded this prestigious honour and the community as a whole felt it was well-deserved.
|Address:||Bathurst Street (Kamilaroi Highway), Brewarrina Shire Council, Brewarrina, 2829|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.961047|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1985|
This memorial was erected following voluntary contributions made by all sections of the communities of Goodooga, Weilmoringle and Brewarrina in recognition of over thirty two years of untiring service given by Dr Tony Lopes, MBE. These stones which has been in the area since time began represent Dr Lopes, a mother and her children. 1953-1985.