Sir Redmond BarryPrint Page
Statue of Judge and benefactor who was the founder of the State Library, with a plaque added in 1980 to commemorate the centenary of his death in 1880.
At the Library he took a very direct role, overseeing the details of the building, the selection of books, the specification of colours of the bindings, the instigation of an ingenious security system, and a constant advocacy with Government for funds for further additions and improvements. Barry’s confidence in his position was given public display in his decision to have his family coat of arms carved over the entrance to the Library, together with the arms of the four original trustees.
Parodied in Melbourne Punch, who suggested that the Library was seeking a license to sell liquor and would henceforth be known as the Barry Arms, the decoration caught the attention of members of parliament. In his defence, Barry pointed out that he was merely continuing a tradition that dated back to Roman times, when Senators emblazoned public buildings with a record of their achievements. Barry’s arms and those of his fellow trustees are there to this day.
|Address:||328 Swanston Street, State Library, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.810038|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||James Gilbert & Percival Ball|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 23rd August, 1887|
Erected by a grateful public to perpetuate the memory of invaluable services rendered to Victoria by Sir Redmond Barry Kt, Doctor of Laws, and a judge of the Supreme Court, OBIIT MDCCCLXXX