William ChaffeyPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin / Father Ted Doncaster

A monument commemorates William Chaffey.

Renmark did not acquire any importance until 1887 when George and William Chaffey signed an agreement with the South Australian government which led to the creation of an irrigation scheme which was to turn the entire area into one of the most productive in the country.

The scheme to water the entire area was greeted enthusiastically with the Assistant Director of Kew Gardens in London declaring `from these sunny lands where our sons and daughters have made their homes, we shall draw our future supply of fruit`. By 1892 the Chaffey experiment had collapsed. The following year the Renmark Irrigation Trust came into existence.

The ceremonies of the unveiling of the Sturt and Chaffey memorials on 15 January were attended by a large and interested crowd, including many children. The town band was in attendance. The Sturt memorial is on an ideal site on a slope facing the river. It is a well designed sandstone pyramid, surmounted by a tall column, and carrying a light. The Chaffey memorial is erected opposite the post-office. It is of cement, with an ornamental base, surmounted by a high column with a beacon, and inscribed — 'To W. B. Chaffey, one of the pioneers and founders of the settlement.'
Chronicle (Adelaide), 23 January 1930.


Address:25 Ral Ral Avenue, Renmark, 5341
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.170738
Long: 140.749612
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 15th January, 1930
Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design