H. H. Skinner Print Page
Commemorates H.H.Skinner, member of the Legislative Council and caterer. Skinner built up a catering empire based, at first, on the supply of liquor to sporting events; eventually he acquired a monopoly of the Melbourne trade and came to be regarded as the outstanding caterer in Australia.
He obtained considerable influence in sporting circles through the increased custom secured by his catering skills; in his home territory of South Melbourne he was the `Boss` whose prestige derived from his role as patron of local sports clubs. In 1910 Melbourne Punch declared that Skinner `loves to be worshipped, and all South Melbourne worships him`.
He was an energetic and highly successful president of the South Melbourne Football (1904-11) and South Melbourne Cricket clubs (1906-12). During his presidency both greatly increased their membership and the football club won its first Victorian Football League premiership (1909).
|Address:||Albert Road & Clarendon Street, South Melbourne, 3205|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.838672|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th July, 1913|
To the memory of the Honourable H.H. Skinner, MLC, President of the South Melbourne Cricket Club, 1906-1912 and of the South Melbourne Football Club 1904-1911.
Erected by the Citizens of the Sporting Clubs of South Melbourne.
Unveiled by the Mayor of South Melbourne, Cr J. Baragwanath JP 27-7-1913