James Chester ManifoldPrint Page
The statue was erected in memory of prominent pastoralist, public benefactor and politician James Chester Manifold, with funds raised by public subscription. The statue was unveiled by the Federal Treasurer, Mr Bruce, in 1922.
James Manifold was a director of the Camperdown Cheese and Butter Factory, established in 1891, and its chairman from 1907. A keen sportsman, he captained the Camperdown polo team. He entered public life as a member of the Hampden Shire Council in the 1890s and was twice president. In 1901 he was elected as the first member for the Federal seat of Corangamite, sitting as a Protectionist, but retired because of ill health in 1903.
He was persuaded to oppose the sitting member J. H. Scullin, and defeated him at the 1913 elections. A `very popular man of the unobtrusive sort`, he retained the seat until his death.
|Address:||Manifold & Pike Street, Finlay Avenue Of Elms, Camperdown, 3260|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.232644|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Nelson Illingsworth (Sydney, NSW)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th June, 1922|
J. C. Manifold of Talindert. One who loved his fellow men