James LawPrint Page
Plaque on grave commemorates the discoverer of the Barkly gold fields.
The area was first called the Navarre Diggings when gold was discovered there in June 1859 by a group led by James Law (1827-1910). It was about six miles from the Navarre township. There was an immediate goldrush and there were soon about 700 people on the diggings. At the peak of the rush, there were over 6000 people in the area digging for gold.
James Law, who had come to Australia from Scotland, received a reward of 150 pounds for finding gold. Other members of his group, John Fewster, W.R. Marshall and George Mill also were rewarded.
|Address:||Barkly - Landsborough Road, Barkly New Cemetery, Grave # 14, Barkly, 3381|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.945881|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
James Law died 1910. Discovered Barkly Goldfields June 1859