www.monumentaustralia.org.au

James WatsfordPrint Page Print this page

26-October-2017
26-October-2017
Photographs supplied by Robert Crofts

A monument commemorates the initial coach run across the Blue Mountains by James Watsford.

James Watsford, Royal Mail pioneer, who owned the first stagecoach in Australia, carried the first regular mail from Parramatta to Sydney and is famous for his incredible descent of Mount York.

On 6th April, 1832, Watsford pioneered the first mail coach run from Parramatta to Bathurst via Penrith and Collit’s Inn, at the foot of Mount York in the Hartley Valley. The mail route over the Blue Mountains followed from there. He came to the ridge of Mount York at nightfall, and the passengers and horses rested while he prepared the coach for its incredible 1060 metres downward plunge by attaching logs to drag behind the coach and slow it down.
 

Location

Address:Mount York Road, Mount York Lookout, Mount York, 2786
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.553302
Long: 150.219552
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1832
Approx. Event End Date:1832

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th September, 1974
Front Inscription

"Not of an age but for all time"

In commemoration of Australia`s first Royal Mail coachman.

James Watsford

On April 6th 1832, James Watsford pioneered the first official mail service between Parramatta, Penrith, Collit`s Inn and Bathurst,

This marked the establishment of a regular carriage conveyance of the mails over the Blue Mountains Road.

James Watsford reached the ridge of Mount York at nightfall.  Passengers and horses were rested while he attached drags to the coach to slow it down the steep slopes of the mountain.

His amazing descent down Lawson`s Long Alley to the Vale of Clwydd was then accomplished in darkness and mist.  The night was spent at Collit`s Inn at the foot of Mount York.

On the following, day, James Watsford continued his epic journey via William Cox`s first road that led across the Great Dividing Range and O`Connell Plains to Bathurst.

This commemorative plaque was unveiled on Sept. 14 1974 by His Worship, Alderman I. D. Dash, Mayor, Council of the City of Blue Mountians, in the presennce of Alfred H. Watsford Esq.

Plaque :

The descendants of James Watsford express the everlasting gratitude to the Council of the City of Blue Mountains for reserving this historic site as a commemorative memorial to their first Australian ancestor who arrived in the Colony of New South Wales on Janauary 18th 1812.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design