Frank LongPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A monument commemorates prospector Frank Long who was discovered silver, lead and zinc in Zeehan.

Frank Long discovered silver lead (Galena) on the banks of Pea Soup Creek in 1882. near the present day site of Zeehan. It led to the largest mining boom on Tasmania`s west coast with Zeehan being dubbed the `Silver City of the West` and, within a decade, Zeehan growing to become the third largest town in Tasmania. This is hardly surprising. Long`s first samples had yielded 70 ounces of silver per ton.



Address:Solly & Stops Streets, Zeehan, 7469
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.883229
Long: 145.332152
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event STart Date:08-December-1882
Actual Event End Date:08-December-1882


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 13th November, 1974
Front Inscription

Frank Long discovered an outcrop of silver rich Galena ( lead sulphide) in the creek adjacent to this plaque on 8th December, 1882.  At that time the area was covered with thick rain forest.

The concrete on which this plaque is mounted was the foundation for the hoist serving the shaft sunk to mine ore from the lode discovered by Frank Long - the first significant mineral discovery in the Zeehan area.

This plaque was erected by the Zeehan Municipal Commission and Renison Limited and unveiled by the Honourable E. E. Reece, M. H. A., Premier and Minister for Mines on November 13th, 1974

Inscription in Proximity
Frank Long Memorial
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design