William Franklin WhitneyPrint Page
Fountain presented by the employees of Cobb & Co commemorates William Franklin Whitney who was a director of the company and resident of Orange.
A memorial fountain is to be erected in "Robertson Park," Orange, by the employees of Messrs. Cobb and Company, to the late Mr. William Franklin Whitney. Mr. Whitney was a partner in the large coaching firm of Cobb and Company, and was the founder of the firm in Victoria, in which movement Mr. Rutherford (now of Hereford, Bathurst) was associated with him. Mr. Whitney arrived in Bathurst in 1862, and up until fifteen years ago, when the company purchased Coombing Park, near Carcoar, managed the firm's western business. Mr. E. Nathan afterwards took up the work so successfully performed by Mr. Whitney. The idea of the firm`s employees erecting a memorial originated with Mr. E. Nathan, and subscriptions limited to £1 were invited, with the result that £300 was raised. The material of the structure is the best Carrara marble and the work was executed to order in Italy, the style of architecture being a modification of the Corinthian.
Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW ), 4th September 1897.
|Address:||Lords Place , Robertson Park , Orange, 2800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.282678|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||Circa 1897|