A H. Cunningham Memorial Library & A.W. Cunningham Hall Print Page
A.W. Cunningham Memorial Library & A.H. Cunningham Hall was dedicated to the memory of two members of the Cunningham family who together with the Cheetham family owned, managed and developed the Cheetham Saltworks. The A H Cunningham Memorial Hall and Library was built as part of the Cheetham Saltworks in the 1920s and was originally designed as a recreation hall for company employees with a library added later.
Richard Cheetham (a manufacturing chemist from Manchester, UK) arrived in Victoria in 1862 to establish a salt works. In 1888 he began construction of a saltfield on low lying swampy land leased from the Victorian Government, between Limeburners’ Point and Point Henry. It was a difficult undertaking and involved much personal industry by Richard himself. Financial backing came from A.W. Cunningham and the partnership was known as "Richard Cheetham & Company Pty Ltd". In 1903 the name of the organisation was changed to "The Cheetham Salt Proprietary Limited"
|Address:||70-72 Port Arlington Road, Newcomb, 3219|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.159626|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
A.H.CUNNINGHAM MEMORIAL LIBRARY