Agnes EdwardsPrint Page
Tombstone erected by the Australian Natives Association in memory of Agnes Edwards (c.1873-1928), Aboriginal craftworker.
About 1890 'Black Aggie', as she was sometimes known, married Harry Edwards, a much older Muti Muti man, probably through traditional marriage arrangements. She became widely known in the district as 'Queen Aggie' after 1897 when she was introduced to the governor Lord Hopetoun at the local show.
Edwards used her people's traditional skills to earn her living. Her ability to adapt old knowledge to a new market and her appearance, enterprise and character made a lasting impact. She and Nicholls fished, netted or trapped and sold fish, freshwater crayfish and mussels, wild duck, rabbits and other game as well as eggs. She excelled, however, in creating hand-made craft articles, especially her very fashionable feather flowers.
Agnes Edwards died on 17 November 1928 at her home and was buried in Swan Hill cemetery with Church of Christ forms. She had been a popular figure in the wider community.
|Address:||Coronation Avenue, Swan Hill Cemetery, Swan Hill, 3585|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.355031|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.