Wombeetch Puyuum Print Page
Monument marks the grave of Wombeetch Puyuun .
James Dawson, local protector of Aborigines erected a 20 metre obelisk of grey granite to mark the place where he buried Wombeetch Puuyuun (locally known to Europeans as "Camperdown George") the last member of the local indigenous tribes.
Their numbers decreased rapidly after 1860 due to contact with settlers and their diseases. In 1882, Dawson returned from a trip home to Scotland to find that the last survivor, Wombeetch Puyuun, had died and was buried in boggy ground outside the Camperdown cemetery. Dawson appealed for public support to finance a memorial in the cemetery proper, but very few supported him.
So at his own expense, he had a granite obelisk erected and carried his old friend`s remains in his arms to be reburied at its foot. The obelisk still stands in Camperdown cemetery today. Its two dates - 1840 and 1883 - mark the mere 43 years it took, after countless millennia of Aboriginal history, for European settlement to displace the Djargurd Wurrung from the Camperdown area.
|Address:||Cemetery Road, Cemetery, Camperdown, 3260|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.217854|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1886|
1840 - 1833. In memory of the Aborigines of this district. Here lies the body of the Chief Wombeetch Puuyuun and last of the local tribes