Robert CampbellPrint Page
A stained glass window icommemorates Robert Campbell of Duntroon who inspired the building of St John’s during 1841-44 and who was a generous benefactor of the church.
Robert Campbell (1769–1846) was a pioneering and leading merchant in Sydney, a land-owner, a pastoralist, a philanthropist, and a politician being a member of the first New South Wales Legislative Council. The suburb of Campbell in Canberra, Australia's National Capital was named in his honour
In 1825 James Ainslie established a sheep station for Campbell in the area where Canberra is now situated. Robert named the property Duntroon after his ancestral Duntrune Castle, Argyll and Bute, Scotland. In later years Campbell provided half the cost of the church of St John the Baptist in its original form.
|Address:||45 Constitution Avenue, St John the Baptist Anglican Church, Reid, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.28715|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||William Macleod|
|Monument Manufacturer:||John Falconer|
In memoriam Robert Campbell