Florence Robson & Joan Allport Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The Florence Robson Memorial Cat Centre designed to board unwanted cats and kittens is dedicated to Florence Robson who established the Hobart Cat Centre in 1974. A plaque also pays tribute to Joan Allport for her work in the establishment of the centre. Originally located in Strickland Avenue South Hobart , the centre moved to its current location in 2004.

The Hobart Cat Centre was established in 1974 by Florence Robson, who had a vision to provide a shelter for all unwanted cats and kittens of Hobart. Miss Robson was a great advocate of responsible pet ownership and devised and implemented an education program for schools emphasising the importance and long term benefits of de-sexing and general cat care.

Joan Allport was President of the Tasmanian Animal Protection Society from its inaguration in 1949 until 1979.


Address:12 Selfs Point Road, Hobart Cat Centre, New Town, 7008
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.848823
Long: 147.318353
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 5th December, 1974
Front Inscription

This plaque was erected as a tribute to Miss J. E. Allport, L.T.C.L. President of TAPS From its inauguration in 1949 to 1979 and is an acknowledgement of her work in the establishment of the Cat Centre

In memory of Florence Robson
A true lover of cats

The Florence Robson Memorial Cat Centre.


Source: MA,ACPH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design