Sir Harry S. W. LawsonPrint Page
A bust commemorates former Premier of Victoria (1918 to 1924) and Senator, Sir Harry S.W. Lawson.
Lawson was elected to the Victorian Legislative Assembly for Castlemaine as a Liberal in 1899, and represented the town for 28 years. He was President of the Board of Land and Works in the government of William Watt from 1913 to 1915, and Attorney-General in the government of Alexander Peacock from 1915 to 1917.
He remained loyal to Peacock when most country Liberal members supported John Bowser's rural faction, the Economy Party, and when Bowser's short-lived government ended in resignation in May 1918, Lawson succeeded him. Lawson proved to be the most successful Premier Victoria had seen to date, holding office for six continuous years.
|Address:||Lyttleton Street, Castlemaine, 3450|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.064406|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - State|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1918|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1924|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1930|
Senator H.S.W. Lawson
Member of the Legislative Assembly 1899 - 1928
Premier of Victoria 1918 - 1924