www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Henry CookPrint Page Print this page

19-November-2013
19-November-2013

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Memorial stones commemorate Mayor Henry Cook and the Hobart Town Corporation Waterworks erected in 1861. In 1960 floods wiped out much of the scenery and surviving tourist facilities at the Fern Tree Bower. Cook’s monument was salvaged and reinstated at the Bower entrance and a plaque unveiled in 1961 commemorates its rehabilitation 

In 1861 the first stage of a new Hobart water supply scheme, to take water from Fork Creek and Browns River to the Waterworks below Ridgeway, was completed. The beautiful stonework of the various aqueducts, spillways and towers are still well preserved and can be seen when walking along the Pipeline Track.

As part of the construction of a new waterworks system for Hobart, stonemason John Gillon was given the contract to carry out the masonry work at the Fern Tree Bower in 1862, including the dam, basin and sluice house. Wooden troughing was constructed from materials found on site, and stone taken where possible from small quarries in the area. The basin at Fern Tree Bower received water diverted from the springs above Browns River Creek flowing over Silver Falls, along with water received from Fork Creek dam, which was then carried into the conduit leading to Gentle Annie Falls and the receiving house. The stone tablet at the sluice house was inscribed with the names of the contractor, the engineer, J.N. Gale and the Hobart Mayor, Henry Cook, and became known as ‘Cook’s monument’.
Source Scripps. L. 1993, The Pipeline Track- Mt Wellington.
 

Location

Address:Pipeline Trail, Fern Tree Bower, Fern Tree, 7054
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.917778
Long: 147.2475
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Front Inscription

HOBART TOWN CORPORATION
WATER WORKS
Erected 1861
Henry Cook  Mayor

Plaque :

Fern Tree Bower

These Inscribed Stones Were Salvaged From
The Original Water Tower Erected In 1861 And
Destroyed By The Great Flood Of 23rd April 1960
This Tablet Is Erected By The Hobart City Council
To Commemorate Its Rehabilitation In 1961

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design