www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Claude BowhayPrint Page Print this page

16-March-2018
16-March-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The gates to the St George Showground commemorate Claude Bowhay who was a Shire Councillor and Shire Chairman from 1951 to 1970. He was also a champion Merino sheep breeder.

In 1942-45 he served on Amaroo Shire Council, New South Wales. From 1951 he was a councillor of Balonne shire, Queensland. During his chairmanship (1954-70) the shire (which carried some 10 per cent of Queensland's sheep) became one of the most prosperous in the State. Its electricity scheme was among the largest administered by a local council, and, in Bowhay's term, water supplies were expanded, towns sewered, facilities improved and St George was linked to a bitumen highway. 

 

 

Location

Address:27 Carnarvon Highway, St George Showgrounds, St George, 4487
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.031652
Long: 148.589958
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local
Link: http://adb.anu.edu.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 5th May, 1980
Front Inscription

The Claude Bowhay Gates
           Erected
             By The

Balonne Shire Council
          To The
        Memory Of

Cr. Claude Bowhay, C.M.G.
Shire Councillor 1951 - 1954
Shire Chairman  1954 - 1970
Merino Studmaster 

And Opened By
Mr. J. Corbett, M.H.R.
       On
5th May, 1980

 

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design