www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lloyd MorrisPrint Page Print this page

20-January-2018
20-January-2018

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
Morris Park was named in appreciation of the services of the Shire Engineer, Lloyd Morris in establishing the park. 

Mr. Lloyd W. Morris (Engineer to the Boree Shire Council out in the Central West), after whom Canowindra's new park was named recently, has had an interesting career. He was born at Molong in 1898, and is a descendant of Jas. Atkinson, who was secretary to Governor Bligh. As a mining engineer, during the time of equipment of new collieries at Cessnock, Mr. Morris served an apprentice ship of five years with the Caledonian Collieries, Ltd., and then completed courses in engineering at Newcastle Technical College. In the Melbourne Office of Titles he spent 12 months as a draughtsman, later becoming a field officer in the electrical branch of the State Department of Works and Local Government. Out of 35 applicants Boree Shire Council elected him as its engineer, in succession to Mr. G. Hope.
Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer (NSW), 2 June 1939.

Location

Address:Rodd Street, Morris Park, Canowindra, 2804
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.559416
Long: 148.667827
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 26th April, 1939
Front Inscription
MORRIS PARK 
 
Left Side Inscription

Plaque:
BOREE SHIRE COUNCIL

THIS PARK WAS OPENED BY Mr H O ELLIOTT, M.L.A. AND NAMED MORRIS PARK ON 26th APRIL, 1939

AS AN APPRECIATION OF THE SERVICES OF THE SHIRE ENGINEER, Mr LLOYD MORRIS, IN ESTABLISHING THIS PARK. 
G.R.BEATTIE             CHAS.McCARRON
Shire Clerk                  President

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design