Governor Lachlan Macquarie Bicentenary Print Page
Plaque unveiled alongside a newly planted Angophora Costata, or Smooth-barked Apple tree, commemorates the 200th anniversary of the swearing-in of Lachlan Macquarie as Governor and recognises his work and vision as well as the contribution of his wife Elizabeth. The plaque is on Bennelong Lawn near the location where Governor Macquarie disembarked from his ship the Dromedary on 31 December 1809.
Lachlan Macquarie CB was a British military officer and colonial administrator. He served as the last autocratic Governor of New South Wales, Australia from 1810 to 1821 and had a leading role in the social, economic and architectural development of the colony. He is considered by some historians to have had a crucial influence on the transition of New South Wales from a penal colony to a free settlement and therefore to have played a major role in the shaping of Australian society in the early nineteenth century. An inscription on his tomb in Scotland describes him as "The Father of Australia".
|Address:||Mrs Macquaries Road, Bennelong Lawn, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858741|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Sub-Theme:||Government - Colonial|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 1st January, 2010|
This plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the swearing-in
of Lachlan Macquarie as the fifth Governor of New South Wales
on 1 January 1810.
It was commissioned in recognition of the work and vision
of Lachlan and Elizabeth Macquarie and unveiled on 1 January 2010.
The Honourable Kristina Keneally MP The Honourable John Aquilina MP
Premier of New South Wales Chair, Macquarie Bicentenary Commemorations Committee